The Virginia Star Quality Initiative | Salem Fields
A voluntary system to assess, improve, and communicate the level of quality in early care and education settings that families consider for their children.
Information for Parents.
Finding and accessing high quality child care can be a challenge. When selecting something as crucial as care and early education for your child, you deserve detailed and reliable information so that you can compare one program with another.
The Virginia Star Quality Initiative (VSQI) was created to provide a consistent way to distinguish the level of quality in early education programs, allowing you to make more informed choices. Early learning providers who participate in this completely voluntary program are provided with a way to continually improve the quality of their services.
The quality rating and improvement system (QRIS) for early childhood providers awards programs one of five star levels of increasing quality. But the rating is only the first step of the VSQI process. After receiving a rating, programs are given tools to improve their quality through mentoring and other assistance.
Participation and the award of a one-star or higher rating reflects a program’s choice to raise the bar in commitment to quality beyond expectation or requirement.
A program with a star rating:
- is on a quality improvement path
- distinguishes itself for exceeding required standards
- assures parents their program is focuses on producing a high quality experience for children
- reflects a culture of commitment to excellence among staff
This user friendly rating is a powerful consumer education tool informing you about quality as you consider options for your child’s earliest learning experiences.
So look for the Star Rated symbol to take the guess work out of finding high quality early education programs for your children.
- defines standards for early childhood education
- creates a framework for accountability
- establishes a network of support and outreach for early childhood professionals
- provides incentives linked to achieving and maintaining quality standards
- acts as a consumer education tool to improve the information available to families
Virginia Star Quality Initiative
Committed to Quality Early Learning
VSQI is partnership between the Office of Early Childhood Development and the Virginia Early Childhood Foundation.
For more information contact: